Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:28:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        billh@finsco.com, patseal@hyperhost.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lowercase filenames

Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com> writes:
> You could write an awk script, making use of the tolower function.
> It could use mv -i or whatever.
>

> Patrick Seal wrote:
> >
> > I have a directory with filenames like:
> > FOO.xxx
> > Bar.yyy
> > hex.zzz
> >
> > What would be the easiest way to convert them to lowercase (and possibly
> > checking for existing lowercase counterparts before overwriting them)

 Or - you can use this small shell script; which I think came out of
Unix Review years ago.  I call it "filename.fix", and use it as:

   cd <dir>
   filename.fix | sh -x

filename.fix doesn't actually run the commands; but prints them to
its stdout - so you can validate them...  You could add to this the
code to do the checking you desire...

	- Dave Rivers -

      #!/bin/sh
      /bin/ls $* >/tmp/XX$$
      tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]' < /tmp/XX$$ > /tmp/YY$$
      echo 'set -v'
      paste /tmp/XX$$ /tmp/YY$$ | sed 's/^/mv /'
      rm -f /tmp/XX$$ /tmp/YY$$