Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:22:55 -0500
From:      "Steven Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        "Steve Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache mod_auth_pam

Right then... it appears that mod_auth_pam won't work with a pam.conf
setting of

httpd   auth    required        pam_unix.so   try_first_pass

The reason is that pam_unix.so makes a call to getpwnam. getpwnam won't
return a password unless the effective UID of the caller is 0 (aka root). So
this might work if you let apache run as root otherwise it won't. Its not an
error with mod_auth_pam per se, just a consideration to work around.

So... anyone know how to get apache to auth using the unix passwd file?

-Steve