Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:58:21 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

Jason Thorpe wrote:

>  > > ...um, so, make the code that deals with faulting in the stack a bit smarter.
>  >
>  > Uh? Like what? Like overcommitting, for instance? The beauty of
>  > overcommitting is that either you do it or you don't. :-)
>
> One option is to special-case overcommit the stack.  Another is to
> set the default stack limits to something more reasonable on a system
> where overcommit is disabled.

And what do you do, then, with the processes that happen to have
legitimate use for more stack?

Or maybe you just find out how much stack each process uses, and
then set limits appropriate for each one? Which is the equivalent of
setting limits to each user, of course...

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Would you like to go out with me?"
	"I'd love to."
	"Oh, well, n... err... would you?... ahh... huh... what do I do
next?"