Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/39316: gnome2-2.0_2 port install is unclean

The following reply was made to PR ports/39316; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org,
	mkb@wi4d22.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: 05 Jul 2002 13:20:22 -0400

 --=-eKjxDoROjajNXwD9j/nP

 On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 09:35, Matthias Buelow wrote:
 > Joe Marcus Clarke writes:
 >=20
 > >GNOME 2.0 Final is in the tree, and this problem has not resurfaced.=20
 > >Please let me know how you want to proceed with this PR.
 >=20
 > I built gnome2 via portinstall -r gnome2 yesterday, after having
 > removed all gnome and related packages and cvs'upped both ports and
 > rebuilt world.  The "argument list too long" error appeared twice
 > at the end of the build but it seems to have installed anyways.
 > However, if you don't encounter the problem yourself, you may aswell
 > close the PR.. given the extraordinarily bad quality of gnome2 (it
 > freezes, crashes and spits error messages all the time) I don't
 > think I'll pursue this any further and stick to my plain old working
 > fvwm setup.

 Sorry to hear this, but I think the problem might be specific to you.  I
 have GNOME 2 working just fine on my -stable machine.  On top of the
 known problems from gnome.org, we seem to have an issue where nautilus
 will lock up when trying to thumbnail certain image files.  I'm still
 investigating this.

 I haven't seen an arg list too long error yet when building gnome2, and
 I just did it from scratch again yesterday.  I have not done it through
 portinstall, however.  I always do:

 # cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2
 # make clean
 # make install clean