Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 13:43:47 +0000
From:      kroonder@knoware.nl (George Kroonder)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie: Can't compile (new) kernel, cc dumps core

/* Intro: Damn this shitty mac, hung on ARA and now I have to retype this */

I'm a complete newbie to FreeBSD, and to unix as a sysadmin. Have had some
HP/UX user xperiences in college, but that's about it. I just installed the
2.0 CDROM release (everything) on the following hardware:

    intel 386/25 cpu
    4 MB RAM
    ISA Bus
      Adaptec 1542c
        1x Fujitsu M2622S-512 (SCSI2, 320MB)
        2x Quantum LPS340S (SCSI2, 340MB)
        1x Nec CDROM:210 (SCSI1, external)
        1x Colorado QIC80 tapedrive on floppy port
      VGA mono 256k, mono IBM monitor
      Lanresearch ethernet adapter (NE2000)
      Std. I/O (2 serial, 1 parallel)

It's not fast but should work, right?

I read Evi Nemeth's Unix Sysadmin handbook cover to cover (then finding out
there is a second edition, so I just got that). Read the FAQ, and following
this I tried to configure my kernel.

I edited LINT, removing all I didn't need, did a config(8) and then a make
depend (as config told me to do so). That went ok (no errors). Then I tried
make all, and after a while got a "page fault" error (12?) after which the
machine rebooted automagically.

Following the FAQ I then tried to config and make all "GENERIC", with the
same result (didn't do a make depend as it's not mentioned in the FAQ). I
found that cc had dumped core, but I really have no clue as to what to do
to get it to compile.

Be sure to rub it in, if it's something really stupid i've overseen <grin>.
Anyway, any help, pointers or the likes will be much appreciated, as I'm
trying to expand my horizon past my DOS and Mac experience, and am
perfectly clueless.

l8r,
george.

 e-mail : kroonder@knoware.nl | I prefer the wicked to the
 phone  : +31-ido-not-thinkso | foolish. The wicked sometimes
 fax    : +31-3463-53216      | rest.   -Alexandre Dumas-