Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 16:06:52 +0200
From:      "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_H=E5=E5l?=" <andersh@hoj.se>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem with uncomressing kernel during floppy boot

We are currently in the process to upgrade our old Intel 386DX Sequent box
with Dynix/ptx (Sequents own UNIX). The machine is (what I understand) a
standard PC that Sequent OEMed from Intel. The ROM Bios is from Phoinx and
called "ROM BIOS Plus version 1.10 16.H0" Our problem occur when trying to
boot the machine from the FreeBSD floppy (2.2.1). The symptom is that the
machine reboot when uncompressing the kernel. The strange thing I have seen
is that the machine have 512 Kbyte Base Memory (showed during boot memory
test). Extended memory is 19M and on a separate board attached to the
mother board. To access BIOS setup a separate floppy is used at boot up.
According to the information in the bios the base memory is set to 511
Kbyte and extended BIOS is at 511K.
During the FreeBSD boot process (from the floppy) the FreeBSD report:
Boot @ 0x10000: 511/19456k of memory

And then booting from fd is reported and then it just reports after the
uncompressing has been working for about 15 sec.

When booting Dynix/ptx the boot process report that the memory is adjusted
from 511K to 512K.

Anyone have any ideas or seen this before? Must the base memory be 640k?

-Anders Haal

E-mail: andersh@hoj.se
Tele: +46-8-611 85 60
Fax: +46-8-678 27 80