Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 09:15:43 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        edward.ing@utoronto.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current Ports and Ports 2.1.7 ports.

edward.ing@utoronto.ca wrote:

> If I were to download the tarballs and the skeleton of Current-Ports
> or 2.2 ports, would I be able to make the port on a 2.1.7 system?

It depends. Some will work, some will need some tweaking and some will
simply not work.

> If Current-Ports are not backwards compileable, is there a facility
> to add ports to 2.1.7 distribution tree so that those who do not
> want not want to upgrage to more recent versions have an archive to
> download and upload ports for this earlier stable, landmark, version of
> freebsd?
Last time I checked the ftp site had a 2.1-ports tree. In case I'm
mistaken, you can always (I think) use CVSup to fetch from the CVS tree
the ports collection at any point in time, including that of any release
you may require (never tried this, so I might be wrong here ).

Nadav