Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:53:58 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386 version in future ?

> On 27 Sep 2016, at 10:22, Michał . wrote:
> > I've stupid/not stupid question to FreeBSD Foundation.
> That’s not a foundation decision. The foundation supports the project
> financially and legally. It does not make any technical decisions regarding
> the
> direction of the project.

> > You have plans to stop release the i386 (32bit) version of FreeBSD system
> > in next releases ?

> I’m not aware of (and would be very surprised by) any plans to drop support
> for
> i386. There are many applications for embedded x86 boards, so it will remain a
> useful architecture for the foreseeable future.

> Regards,
> Kristof

Some applications run only on 32-bit, or the 32-bit version is better developed: wine, for instance.

Bitrig, forked from OpenBSD (bitrig.org), supports amd64 but not i386.

DragonFlyBSD quit 32-bit i386.  Some Linux distributions have also quit i386.

But for older computers, as well as applications that require or do better on i386, I would vote to retain i386, and I believe this is the consensus among FreeBSD developers.

Tom