Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 19:26:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PDF viewers

I got this message from an unrelated list.  It's a pdf viewer which
seems to work reasonably well, and it's probably faster than using
ghostscript (and certainly much smaller). Worth a try, and possibly
making it a package.

	Luigi

> Date: Tue, 06 Feb 1996 14:38:13 -0500
> From: "Derek B. Noonburg" <derekn@VW.ECE.CMU.EDU>
> Subject: PDF viewers (was Re: Re[2]: data in mpasm and User's Guide)
> Sender: pic microcontroller discussion list <PICLIST@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
> To: Multiple recipients of list PICLIST <PICLIST@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
>
> I'll take this opportunity to plug xpdf, my free PDF viewer for X.  It's
> still an alpha version, but it works reasonably well.  I designed it to
> be small and efficient (no Motif - and it was developed entirely on a 12
> MB 486 under Linux), so you should be able to run it on pretty much
> anything that can handle X.
>
> One thing -- it seems that some (most? all?) of Microchip's PDF files
> are encrypted.  Adobe hasn't released the specs for decryption, so
> you're forced to use an Adobe viewer.  I know that Microchip watches
> this list, so I'd like to encourage them to stop using this pointless
> encryption.
>
> The xpdf home page is:
> http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/dn0o/xpdf/xpdf.html
>
> Source code and several binaries are available from ftp.andrew.cmu.edu
> in the /pub/xpdf directory.
>
> - Derek

Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/