Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:38:57 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIWA DDS-2 drives?

On 11 Nov 1999 18:09:47 -0500, ken@plutotech.com ("Kenneth D. Merry")
wrote:

>David Kelly wrote...
>> Have found some Aiwa GD-80001HC drives for cheap and wondered if anyone
>> has used one under FreeBSD yet? `grep -i aiwa /usr/src/cam` didn't turn
>> up anything. So presumably if something is known about this model its
>> not bad but that doesn't say if anything good is known either.
>
>From the web page (http://www.aiwa.com/csd/product/dds2mn.htm), it looks
>like just another DDS-2 drive.
>
>My guess is that they probably just OEM someone else's drive mechanism, but
>who knows.  It should function fine, but of course you never know until
>someone tries it.

I dont know about the model above, but the one I got at onsale.com seems to
work OK...

sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
sa0: <AIWA GD-8000 0119> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 7)

DUMP: finished in 48 seconds, throughput 434 KBytes/sec

If you ever need NT drivers, you can get them from the Japanese version of
the site.

	---MikeOn 11 Nov 1999 18:09:47 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.scsi
you wrote:

>David Kelly wrote...
>> Have found some Aiwa GD-80001HC drives for cheap and wondered if anyone
>> has used one under FreeBSD yet? `grep -i aiwa /usr/src/cam` didn't turn
>> up anything. So presumably if something is known about this model its
>> not bad but that doesn't say if anything good is known either.
>
>From the web page (http://www.aiwa.com/csd/product/dds2mn.htm), it looks
>like just another DDS-2 drive.
>
>My guess is that they probably just OEM someone else's drive mechanism, but
>who knows.  It should function fine, but of course you never know until
>someone tries it.
>
>Ken
>--
>Kenneth Merry
>ken@plutotech.com

>---

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)