Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:13:28 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with unloading device driver

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 01:43:41PM +0400, Eugene L. Vorokov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a module which adds new device. It does make_dev() and then simulates
> mknod() syscall, so that /dev/name is always automatically created.
> Also I have a daemon which reads from and writes to this device. The daemon
> opens the device once and then holds it open. When my module unloads,
> it simulates unlink() and then does detsroy_dev(). I just noticed that
> when I unload my module, the first write() by daemon to the fd associated with
> that device causes system to crash.

Is there really a reason you do not want to keep a persistent device
entry in /dev?  Aside from cluttering /dev - this is a problem solved
in -current with a working devfs.  True, -stable does not really have
a devfs - the one that was in the tree was removed, because it was
way less functional (and working) than the one in -current; still,
why, really, should you be worried about one (or five) more device
nodes in /dev?

G'luck,
Peter

--
I had to translate this sentence into English because I could not read the original Sanskrit.