Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:14:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        beth@alpha.gte.net (Elisabeth Arnold)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Xinit: Wierd errors

Elisabeth Arnold writes:
> When attempting to run xinit I get many strange errors.  It says things
> like:
>
> XF98_GANBWAP/o (character like an equal sign, but with 3 -'s)  (diamond
> shape): not found

Is the text *really* XF98_GANBWAP/o?

> This continues with strange symbols and not found messages.  Then the
> message: "/usr/X11R6/bin: 50: Syntax error: EOF in backquote substitution"

Is /usr/X11R6/bin a directory?  This looks like the system is trying
to interpret some binary as a shell script--usually a sign that it
doesn't recognize the binary format.

> The message "_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2"
> repeats 6 times followed "giving up."

That's almost normal.

> xinit: Interupted system call (errno4): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

At a guess, you have severe data corruption or an incorrect
architecture somewhere, probably in whatever you're trying to use as
an X server.  Check:

1.  /usr/X11R6/bin/X.  This is usually a symlink:

	$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/X
	lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  bin  9 Feb  6 07:55 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -> XF86_SVGA

2.  What it's pointing to:

	$ ls -lL /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA
	-rwsr-xr-x  1 root  bin  2811834 May  8  1995 /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA

3.  What file type it is:

	$ file /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA
	/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA: setuid FreeBSD/i386 demand paged dynamically linked executable not stripped

Note that you'll have to give the real name of the program in this
case.

I suspect that (3) will give you some other result.  Let me know how
this works.

Greg