Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:41:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Pete Perreault <peterp@above.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs update problem

> I am attempting to update /usr/src after a cvsup but I am getting file
> conflicts indicating some file have been modified but are not in the
> repository.

If I fully understand you, you are doing what follows:

1) cvsup the whole repository;
2) updating a checked-out copy of src (in /usr/src);
3) while cvs is performing operation 2), it spits out [warning] messages
stating that certain files are no longer present in the repository.

As to the "?", it is described in the (longish) cvs man page, and it is
nothing to worry about (yes, but do have a look :-))

As to the [warning] messages, they should be -- again -- nothing to worry
about. I also sometimes saw them when I checked out the "src" module on a
-CURRENT slice of mine.  Since I hadn't made any changes, it was just cvs
telling me that it was modifying files (eg deleting them in /usr/src when
necessary) so that the requested src module might exactly correspond with the
related src sources in the repository. [I hope this sounds correct in English
and... it doesn't sound too complicated :-)]

HTH,
Salvo