Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 11:05:02 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/libol/patches patch-aa

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 03:48:20AM -0700, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

>   Added files:
>     devel/libol/patches  patch-aa
>   Log:
>   Respect CFLAGS.

Just FWIW, it's often easier to fix ports to respect CFLAGS from the
port Makefile.  In most cases (including libol) the following lines are
enough:

.if defined(USE_GMAKE)
MAKE_ARGS=	CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
.else
MAKE_ARGS=	-E CFLAGS
.endif

And this will fix most ports.  The difference between our make and
gmake occurs because gmake adds variables defined on the commandline
to ${.MAKEFLAGS} whereas we don't and have to explicitly request it
with either '-e' or '-E'.  I've found that sometimes '-e' breaks the
whole build altogether so prefer '-E'.

Usually just picking one of the five lines for a given port is
sufficient.  Very few ports need all five lines.  ;-)

--
Signature withheld by request of author.