Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:50:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (newer ?) Ext2fs problem in FreeBSD-3.4

> I have FreeBSD and Linux on the same machine.

Me too. And Windows 2000.

> The whole of Linux is in an
> extended partition, and it was only recently that I figured out one could
> access them using wd0s5 (in my case) and upwards.

Right now I use a FAT32 partition for sharing information among the three OSs
This solution sucks, because of the missing access control to that partition.
On the other hand is has not caused me any problems so far.

If we look at sharing a partition just between Linux and FreeBSD, we
have can use a native format from either side:

1. use ext2fs for the sharing partiion, no problems from Linux,
   perhaps problems from FreeBSD, because the ext2fs fs driver
   in the FreeBSD kernel might be buggy

2. use FreeBSD's UFS format for the sharing partition, no
   problems from FreeBSD, perhaps problems from the UFS driver
   in the Linux kernel.

You tried 1., I am trying 2. these days.

The command looks like this under Linux:

    mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/freebsd/usr -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd

By the way, anyone tried the NTFS drivers in Linux or FreeBSD?

Regards,
Marc