Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:04:08 +0800 (WST)
From:      Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Weird routing problem

Hiyall,

We are experiencing this bizarre problem on our machines, running
2.2.8-STABLE...

Here's a simple mud-map of the links concerned:

		Cisco

defiant	(ed0)---------(ed1)odyssey

			modem

			saturnv

Now, when saturnv's link drops, there is a delay for it to be
re-established. However, in the meantime, if any packets are transmitted
by defiant, intended for saturnv, defiant adds the route:

saturnv		link#1

to it's routing table. This unfortunately, overrides it's default route to
the Cisco router. The only method I've found to fix this problem, after it
occurrs, is to use 'route delete xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx', where xxx is the IP of
saturnv.

Has this behaviour ever been observed, and is there any known
workaround/solution to prevent it?

Many thanks.

Regards,

d.