Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:38:31 -0500
From:      "Edwin L. Culp W." <edwinlculp@gmail.com>
To:        David Hughes <dghughes82@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual Hosts & Subdomains

2012/3/16 David Hughes <dghughes82@googlemail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me if this is slightly off-topic, but I wonder if I could trouble
> you for some advice about setting up website subdomains with Apache. I
> currently have a website up and running on a jailed VPS; I've been trying
> to set up subdomains so that one might navigate to a certain area of the
> site by using a URL of the form blog.mywebsite.net rather than
> mywebsite.net/blog.
>
> I've tried reading the official Apache documentation and a number of
> tutorials that I've found online, but nothing I've tried has worked so far.
> Do Virtual Hosts behave differently if they're within a jail? Or do I need
> some sort of DNS registration for subdomains? I've been trying to figure it
> out by myself, with little success so far - I'm quite new to this.

If you have control of your DNS for mywebsite.net just add a CNAME for
blog.mywebsite.net and add a virtual server to your apache configuration.
I'm assuming that you control your DNS and your apache server.  More
subdomains would requier repeating the process.

Not much help without a bit more info on your installation.

ed