Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:49:03 -0400
From:      Michael Conlen <meconlen@obfuscated.net>
To:        rtjohan@syspres.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum Sub-disk & Directory Structure Mapping

I normally use

/
/usr
/usr/local
/var
/tmp
/home # or /usr/home
/usr/ports # either it's own space, or link to /usr/local/ports

Here's the rational, / and /usr can be mounted read only, /root
shouldn't really get used, since you shouldn't be using the root
account. when you update the source and rebuild the system then you can
remount read-write. /usr/ports points to /usr/local/ports so it can be
read-write as needed. /var has logs that can get out of hand, and /tmp
gets out of hand due to all sorts of user/programer tricks that you
never count on. Those can be read-write at all times.

I haven't sized these in a while since well, I've got disk space like
it's going out of style, but 128 megs for /, and 512 for /var and /tmp
are good sizes. /home is as needed. The only question is how much you
really need in /usr which is probably somewhere around 1 GB, depending
on if you need to build sources on that system or not.

For the security concious, if /usr is read-only at all times (except
when mounted from single user mode) you can be more at ease leaving suid
programs there, and disable suid from /usr/local, not that you would
never have a problem, but... Also, having /etc/ ro is nice, but none of
that is a good substitue for tripwire or the like.

--
Michael Conlen