Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:14:32 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        amiroot@yahoo.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about cat command

Likely it is piping the filesystem data for the directory to stdout, which
would be unreadable to humans. Technically, that would be doing what it is
supposed to do, much like if you `cat` a binary file.
It may be better to make it cat all the files in that directory, but that
wouldn't really be very useful as you can do that by adding a few other
commands, and it could take a very long time if it were executed for, say,
'/usr'.