Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:27:32 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Geoff Rehmet" <geoff@illuminati.is.co.za>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Secondary DNS Transfers

Um - your secondary is there because your SUPPOSED to be serving as the backup
for those primaries.  If you can't do it then you shouldn't be secondarying
for
them.  Stop doing it.  There's plenty of other DNS servers that aren't so
overloaded - your doing a disservice by accepting secondarying on domains that
you know you cannot properly handle.

While I'm not expecting that you can pick up resolution for all 10,000 zones
at once, you certainly should be able to pick up resolution if 10% of them
were to go offline at once - and that includes vanity domains and such that
hardly ever get queries.  If you can't then you need to reduce the number of
zones that you secondary for or increase your bandwidth or server power.  The
Internet already has enough slow, underpowered DNS servers now with everyone
and their dog that wants to host websites all attempting to grab as many
domain names for their DNS servers as they can.

>It's actually shocking how many of the admins of zones that we secondary
>don't even realise that their zones are not loading on their servers
>after they edited the zone file, and didn't check it for errors!

Yes - we get this too.  It's one thing for a primary to be down for a day or
so, but if I see one of ours go for longer than that then I test their
mailhost
to see if it's still alive, and if it is I e-mail the admin.  But, don't
assume that their zones are not loading in THEIR nameserver - they very well
may be.

What the really shocking thing is is that there's people writing DNS servers
that aren't following the RFC's on DNS or testing interoperability with other
DNS servers.