Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:40:38 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "James Clifford" <james@base2.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD = Unix ???

>*BSD can actually trace its roots back to AT&T. It's
>not a Unix workalike but is actually a Unix...

To play Devil's Advocate here: Since 4.4BSD-Lite (and derivatives like
FreeBSD) has *no* AT&T code left in it, isn't it technically a *work-alike
clone* and not *real* Unix/unix/UNIX?

If Microsoft gave you the source code to Windows and you re-wrote it so that
it no longer had any MS code in it, is it still Windows?

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!