Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:35:42 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File owner name not updated.

On Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003, at 23:29 US/Pacific, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Two things occur to me:
>
>     i) Did root use vipw(8) to edit the passwd database, or otherwise
>        run:
>
>         # cap_mkdb /etc/master.passwd
>
>        when the UID was changed?  It's the value in the hashed
>        database cap_mkdb(1) builds that is used by the system.
>        Updating that should have instantaneous effect.

Just used the pw command.  However, note that this symptom persisted
for over 24 hours.  Last time it happened (on a 4.7 system) it
persisted for several days if I recall, before I noticed/corrected it.

>    ii) You haven't said anything about what the source of your
>        password data is, which probably means you're just using the
>        flat file password database and not anything like NIS or LDAP.

Correct.

>        If you are using a distributed database, then a degree of
>        latency while changes get propagated around the servers is to
>        be expected.  However, that shouldn't take any more than a few
>        minutes in a well configured system.

Right, and this is a standalone system (which is why I'm manually
syncing up the uids in the first place).

> The problem is not with the ls(1) command per se.  It's the underlying
> system library functions such as getpwuid(3) which do the translation
> between numeric UIDs and usernames that are the seat of the problem.
> You can see that by running some other command that uses getpwuid(3),
> eg:
>
>     % perl -e 'print scalar getpwuid(503), "\n";'

Got it.  I think what I'll do is create a dummy user with the same
conditions and let it persist for awhile so we can experiment with it.

KeS