Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 09:03:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad outgoing serial coms

Julian Howard Stacey writes:

> > Make TTYHOG big
> will try that,
> thanks,
> will also check the flow control stuff, though I've not changed anything there in ages

Right.  And Bruce swears up & down that ttyhog isn't used in slip or ppp,
but there really is only one place that message comes from...   Actually
it *does* apply to the new 'process' version of ppp (/usr/sbin/ppp as opposed
to /usr/sbin/pppd).  Are you using that?

My friend here had to up ttyhog from his usual 10k to 12k lately to quiet
that message; this could be related to the big flurry of commit messages
that recently came through (they are short; the problem with Taylor uucp
mostly comes up on file boundaries, and we are now using a 28.8k modem-pair
for our uucp link).  G protocol doesn't window message packets but i
does.  We are both using smail 3 instead of sendmail; with this the
problem for mail could be alleviated somewhat by using rsmtp, but that
doesn't change the base problem, which is that ttyhog needs to be
somewhat dynamic to handle large-window protocols (Taylor I/i protocol
at 16k window; kermit/big can get even bigger; the new user-mode ppp
(which doesn't use the ppp line discipline module) would need ttyhog
at probably twice the tcp window size plus some for the ppp
encapsulation sequences (tcp window applies per connection, so if one has
external fast feeds and does ftp, ttyhog might have to be 3 or 4 times
the tcp window.  I'd think that normally that much shouldn't be needed).

A side note, discovered while looking through the sources for this:
Nothing appears to ever fill in tty_tb's row in linesw; has this ever
been tested?

-- Pete