Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:16:27 -0600
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net>
To:        R Dias <rdias@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network?

On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 02:19:56PM +1000, R Dias said something like:
> Hi
>
>     Im new to freebsd and would like to know some things. Due to the type of
> network i have i want to try something different. Connect linux to windows98
> box and share the internet through windows system. Can this be done. ? how?
> what do i need to set like in settings exactly?
>
> And to connect Windows machines to the linux freebsd system and make linux
> dial the internet and share it then what steps do i need?

You can get a windows program called WinGate that acts as an
address-translating gateway/proxy server for whatever is behind it.
i'm told it works halfway decently, but not nearly as well as using a
linux or freebsd machine as a gateway.

the actual mechanics of it are pretty straightforward: your win9x box
running WinGate has an ethernet card and a modem in it, and your other
machines have ethernet cards. Set up the ethernet on a 192.x.x.x network,
tell wingate what the addresses are, and it (supposedly) just goes.
I think wingate supports dial-on-demand, so that you don't have to
do anything to connect--just sit down at your linux or freebsd machine
and start netscape, or try to telnet somewhere or whatever. Wingate will
figure out that it needs to dial your ISP, and once the connection is
up, you can see the world.

I've never actually used wingate. I downloaded a demo version of it
a while ago and looked at it. If you just want to see what it's like,
go ahead and play with it. If, however, you have freebsd or linux machines
around, I'd suggest making one of them the gateway/firewall machine for
your network. The security is better, you have more control over stuff,
and, from what I've heard, it's more stable.