Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:04:42 +1000
From:      Andrew Cagney <cagney@tpgi.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, cagney@tpgi.com.au
Subject:   IPFW rules applied twice?

Hello,

Given a network arramgement physically wired as:

	FIREWALL
		<-ppp0-internet-...
		<-vx0-ethernet-vx0-> LOCALMC

(for what of a better notation).
Then a packet from the internet destined for LOCALMC takes the path:

	INTERNET
		-> ppp0 interface
		-> FIREWALL route tables
		-> vx0 interface
		-> ethernet
		-> vx0/LOCALMC

My question: Do the IPFW rules get applied twice?

	o	when the packet comes IN on the
		ppp0 interface.

	o	when the packet goes OUT on the
		vx0 interface.

I think they do (as they should).
The problem is, I can't find anything in the IPFW documentation
that confirms this.

Can someone confirm that this firewall is `normal'? :-)
Did I miss something in the doco? If I didn't, should something be
added?

	enjoy,
		Andrew