Date:      Fri, 25 May 2012 22:58:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminology: wheel

> From: Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
>
> On Fri, 25 May 2012 21:52:12 -0400, Matthew Story wrote:
> > http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_(Unix_term)
>
> Ah, thanks! I hoped there was a more... technical explaination
> than just "wheel" being a slang term derivate. :-)
>
>     big wheel (idiomatic)
>     A person with a great deal of power or influence,
>     especially a high-ranking person in an organization.
>
> slang "big wheel" -> wheel bit -> wheel group

There are numerous 'wheel' related terms in the 'casual English' lexicon.
See 'wheeler dealer', for example.

Those 'at the wheel' are those who are in charge -- in immediate control
of steering the ship.

See also 'wheel horse'.  which has a secondary meaning of 'a diligent,
dependble worker' -- one who can be trusted to 'do things right' (defined
as 'the way the boss wants it done' :)

Derived from a position in a team of horses used to pull wagons, coaches,
etc. Some horses do *not* work well in a team at all, others are intractable
if they are not in a 'lead' position,

A 'wheel horse' will work behind others.   They will, _without_complaint_,
follow the "horse's ass" in the lead.   The parallel to computer operations
staff (the wheel group) is obvious.    *GRIN*