Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:37:31 -0600
From:      Alex Barclay <alex@vsys.com>
To:        "'Ron G. Minnich'" <rminnich@sarnoff.com>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG" <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: timed where can I connect?

On Wednesday, July 01, 1998 6:16 AM, Ron G. Minnich [SMTP:rminnich@sarnoff.com]
wrote:
> For those of you looking to get good time: check out the kits from the
> tucson amateur packet radio club. You can for about $150 get a kit that
> allows you to build a stratum 1 clock! the kit requires that you place a
> patch antenna (about 4" by 4") against a window, since it uses 3 or more
> GPS satellites for time. We've had one for months and it works quite well.
> no more hunting for servers on the net. All our hosts are synced to a
> FreeBSD PC that serves as our time server.

Ouch... That's kind of expensive if you just want time. Why not get one of the
kits
for the LF transmissions from Boulder, US in North America or Rugby, UK for
western Europe.
(I think there is a German source also covering Europe)

These transmissions (Boulder and Rugby) are 60KHz AM at 1pps. The actual date
is encoded in the 1pps (differently for the two though)

My reciever for this cost me about $10. (It was my design, still a kit should
cost less than
$30). The antenna is a ferrite rod, like the old AM radios used.

A.

--
Alex Barclay                    E-mail: alex@vsys.com
Vsys                            Tel:    +1 719 635 8066 x 17