Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:58:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Gregory D. Moncreaff" <moncrg@dominus.ma.ultranet.com>
Cc:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: C++ Code in Kernel

> maybe its just that I'm taking a c++ class now, but I'm
> cusious as to the pro's and con's on writing kernel source
> in c++.  I haven't seen nor heard on this happening on FreeBSD
> [but then my travels haven't been that wide]

My understanding is that You Don't Wanna Do It.

Linus tried it for awhile with Linux before he started to find places where
the compiler was doing weird things to him, like putting virtual destructor
table info on the stack as a side-effect of some operation while he, in
an interrupt handler, was sort of wanting it NOT to do things like that.

There are a lot of nice mechanisms which one could implement just as
easily in straight C to far improve the structure of the kernel, I think.
No need for a blunt instrument that big. :)

					Jordan