Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:01:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@Artisoft.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: What do you think of these patches to echo?

> >Subject: What do you think of these patches to echo?
> >Synopsis:
> >	add \c handling to echo (at the end of an arglist, is
> >	synonymous with echo -n ...)
>
> :-(.

8-).

I hate shell scripts that use \c or -n coming from the net and having
half of them work on one box and half work on another.

Since \c is an undefined escape otherwise, I see no problem with
allowing it.

On the other hand, all of my scripts intended to be portable will still
use:

#
# define "echon"
#
ECHON=`echo -n`
if test "x$ECHO" = "x-n"
then
	ECHON=xechoc
else
	ECHON=xechon
fi

xechoc() {
	echo "$*\c"
}

xechon() {
	echo -n "$*"
}

echon() {
	$ECHON "$*"
}

echon "what do you want? "
read x

No shell functions allowed?

#
# define "echon"
#
ECHON=`echo -n`
if test "x$ECHO" = "x-n"
then
	ECHON="echo"
	ENSUF="\c"
else
	ECHON="echo -n"
	ENSUF=""
fi

$ECHON "what do you want? $ENSUF"
read x

Please, save me from this abomination!  Commit the changes!

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.