Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:30:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kacanski Aleksandar <kacanski@umich.edu>
Cc:        questions@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ps-2 mouse ("keyboard") driver conflict psm0

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Kacanski Aleksandar wrote:

> Hi,
> Please could someone explain to me if PS-2 mouse ("keyboard mouse")
> driver is fixed or at least works because I did not have luck with it.

See FAQ question #3.7.

3.7. I have a PS/2 mouse (``keyboard'' mouse) How do I use it?

You'll have to add the following lines to your kernel configuration file
and recompile:

device    psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector
psmintr
# Options for psm:
options   PSM_NO_RESET       #don't reset mouse hardware (some laptops)

See the Handbook entry on configuring the kernel if you've no experience
with building kernels.

Once you have a kernel detecting psm0 correctly at boot time, make sure
that an entry for psm0 exists in /dev.
You can do this by typing:

        cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV psm0

When logged in as root.

Note: Some PS/2 mouse controllers have a problem where the presence of the
psm0 driver will cause the keyboard to lock up (which is why this driver
is not present by default in the GENERIC kernel). This can sometimes be
fixed by bouncing the NumLock key during the boot process.  Also suggest
going into CMOS setup and toggling any value for Numlock On/Off at boot
time. The real fix is, of course, to merge the PS/2 mouse driver with
syscons. Any volunteers? :)