Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 09:13:30 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@blackhole.dimensional.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't find kernel after partition changes

Gerard Giamberdine wrote:

> Hello....
>
> When I  installed freebsd I created a 70M dos partition from which to
> install. I've just tried to change it over to freebsd, hoping that I
> could mount it as /usr2 or something (is it possible to 'tack' it on to my
> existing /usr?). I used sysinstall/configure to delete the dos partition,
> create a freebsd partition, and label it (the dos/now freebsd partition
> is wd0s1 and the old freebsd is wd0s2). Now at the boot prompt it says
> it can't find the kernel. I can access all the original freebsd file
> systems using the fixit disk so I know I didn't wipe them out. Does anyone
> know what I need to do to get the booter to see the kernel (reconfigure
> /dev, rebuild kernel, ...?).
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Gerard Giamberdine.

You must remove your newly created FreeBSD slice :-(. What happens is
that the boot code always searches the *first* FreeBSD partition on the
disk for the kernel. Since you've created a fresh new FreeBSD partition
in front of your old one, that's where the boot code is looking for the
kenel now. In any case, having two FreeBSD slices on a single disk is
possible but difficult. The only other thing you could do is switch the
roles of the root partition (i.e. have a root partition on the new slice
and use what used to be your root partition for some other purpose).

Nadav