Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:12:43 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: probably remote exploit

Mike Hoskins wrote:
> I'd be curious to know if a quick search for "..." and other attempts at
> hiding directories turned up anything.  Honeypots I've played with show an
> affinity to "..." for hiding cracker tools.  Not too sure why, it's easily
> visible.

Easily visable for you. Most people I know ( ~ 60% ) would never catch
such a trivial hiding technique. And I'm talking about educated computer
folk. They just get in a hurry and don't notice things like that. Of course,
if they suspect an exploit, they'll catch such directories quickly, but
not most of the time.

-Bill