Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 22:33:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        whs@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dutch keyboard map (+sort note)

(I think this should be taken to -questions.)

W.H.Scholten:

> As there isn´t a dutch keymap for syscons,
              ^
That's an acute accent (the same diacritic as in 'é'), not an
apostrophe.

> First, how do I enable/use dead keys?

Take a look at some of the provided *.acc.kbd keymaps.

There are several "dXXX" dead keys, where XXX is an abbreviation
(first three letters of the name) for the diacritic in questions.
An example entry for a dead acute accent to provide 'é'--I think
that's a character used in Dutch--could look like this:

    dacu 180 ('e' 233) ('E' 201)

This means:
- define _d_ead key for _acu_te accent,
- the accent on its own is character 180   (´),
- combined with 'e' it gives character 233 (é),
- combined with 'E' it gives character 201 (É).

> Secondly, the console screenmapping (iso88559-1-> ibm) doesn´t seem to
> work properly (I´ve set it with /stand/sysinstall)

Works fine here, if you use the VGA default (or explicitly load a
CP437 font) and load the iso-8859-1_to_cp437 screen map. Of course,
the screen map facility is mostly a fallback for users of MDA/HGA/CGA
cards where the font is fixed. If you have EGA/VGA, you want to
load a proper font instead.

> E.g. if I enter the code 171 (« (guillemotleft)) then I actually see ½
> (one half) which has code 189. What´s going on?

You didn't activate the ISO 8859-1 -> CP437 screen map.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de