Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2023 20:41:22 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running Apps As Root Considered Unwise [re: # amule, distributed apps]

On 2/8/23 6:44 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> On 2/8/23, Luciano Mannucci <luciano@vespaperitivo.it> wrote:
>> root@marietto:/usr/home/marietto # amule
>
> Users should probably not be running random applications
> that they downloaded from the untrustable internet as root.

Wow, this sounds like an advise from MS world. In case of UNIX when user
was saying "I crashed the machine" I replied: you do not have admin/root
privileges. If something went wrong it is not your fault, but the fault
of the system, and my - sysadmin's - who didn't configure the system
secure enough, so regular user can not do damage to the system or work
of other users on the machine.

Just my 2 cents.

Valeri