Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:30:12 -0400
From:      Adam Turoff <adam.turoff@isinet.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSNBC Article

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> 2. Not all the BSD groups were giving CDs away at DEFCON, only FreeBSD.
>    I believe the OpenBSD group was selling theirs, for example, so it's
>    not quite accurate to use "BSD" as the classifcation in that context.

FWIW, I asked around in the open source OS community for donations for YAPC
(yet another Perl conference) last month.  I've given away FreeBSD CDs at
conferences before, and they tend to be quite well received.

I asked the NetBSD project, who never returned my email.

I asked the OpenBSD project, and Theo graciously donated 10 copies
of OpenBSD 2.5.  These were given away as quiz prizes.

I asked the Debian Project, and Wichert donated 10 copies left over
from the USENIX pressing.  These were given away as quiz prizes.

I asked Jordan, and the FreeBSD project donated 300 copies of 3.1.   :-)
These were given away to every attendee, except for the honest ones
who said that they had no [interest in] Intel hardware, were already
running 3.2, or already had subscriptions.

One reason why FreeBSD CDs can be given away is because Jordan makes
it so easy.

Thanks, Jordan.  Evangelizing FreeBSD would be much more difficult
without you.

-- Adam