Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 17:06:22 -0500
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Stephen Hilton" <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>, "Freebsd Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <Robin_Blanchard@gactr.uga.edu>
Subject:   Re: mount madness

I'm having my own "mount madness" and have been watching for solutions
here. I also have a similar setup with HD1 identified as "ad1" and "adis1",
but have been unable to mount it. Here is the fdisk ad1 info:

******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=1653 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=1653 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 12,(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT, LBA)
    start 63, size 26555382 (12966 Meg), flag 0
	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
	end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 254
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

Any more tips appreciated...

At 04:20 PM 9.6.2001 -0500, Stephen Hilton wrote:
>>From my reading of the links submitted by Dan Larsson, W2k does support
>reading and writing of fat32x partitions, that would explain the 44GB fat32
>partition that I access from SCSI based NTFS W2K installation on my
>workstation, and when booted into Freebsd 4.3 on SCSI HD I can mount the
>44GB partition also.
>
># mount_msdos /dev/ad0s1 /fat32/s1
>mounts the 7GB 1st partition on the 1st IDE HD read/write
>
># mount_msdos -o rdonly /dev/ad0s2 /fat32/s2
>mounts the 44GB 2nd partition on the 1st IDE HD read-only
>
>Robin, recheck your drive jumpers (master/slave) and bios IDE setups, and
>confirm that the drive is seen during the bios boot-up post screen if one is
>available. I would set the second IDE disk as master or "only-drive" on the
>second IDE channel with no slave device (check drive jumpering manual specs)
>to trouble-shoot this problem.
>Also have you created your mount point? (ls -la /mnt/fat32)
>
>And as Chris Faulhaber asked
>> What does 'fdisk ad1' show?
>
>Regards,
>
>Stephen Hilton
>

>Dan Larsson wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Robin P. Blanchard wrote:
>>
>> | windows 2000 can't even speak fat32x.
>>
>> Windows 2k does handle fat32,
>>

>http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/reskit/en/ProRK/prdf_fls_dxob.
>htm
>>
>> there are some limitations however
>>
>>   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/0/06.ASP
>>
>> Regards
>> +------
>> Dan Larsson  -+- Tyfon Svenska AB -+-  DL1999-RIPE
>> 2AA5 90AE 5185 5924 1E0B  1A99 EC8A EA84 406B 06B9

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American