Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2020 05:57:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ryan Steinmetz <zi@freebsd.org>, jaap@NLnetLabs.nl, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unbound and (isc) dhcpd startup order

> I am configuring a small LAN -- mostly a gateway / router for it -- and I am
> using unbound for a local DNS and isc-dhcp44-server for DHCP.
> I have a few hosts with static IP addresses (for various reasons).
> So, in unbound.conf I have an entry like
>   local-data: "hipster.home.arpa. IN A 192.168.0.222"
> and in dhcpd.conf  have:
>   host hipster {
>

>     hardware ethernet 40:74:e0:xx:xx:xx;
>

>     fixed-address hipster.home.arpa;
>

>  }
>
> I am using a DNS name to avoid hardcoding the same IP address twice.
> But obviously this depends on the local DNS server starting before the HDCP
> server if they are on the same host / router.
> It seems that at the moment there is nothing to ensure that order.
>
> For the moment I modified rc.d/unbound to add this line:
>   # BEFORE: dhcpd

>From looking at /etc/rc.d/local_unbound we see:
# PROVIDE: local_unbound
# REQUIRE: FILESYSTEMS defaultroute netwait resolv
# BEFORE: NETWORKING
# KEYWORD: shutdown

What makes it work for that case is the BEFORE: NETWORKING is that
line missing for the port version?

> I am not sure if this is the best solution and it's something that can be
> included into the port.

I think that DNS needs to be started before more than just dhcpd,
so this is just 1 of many possible cases.  This can also be issues
with almost any network stuff that wants to do stuff by DNS value,
including the networkself.  DNS creates a chicken/egg problem in
that you may, or may not need the network to resolve names, I have
always hated that aspect of it.  Modern tooling can help, you use
stuff to build your /etc/rc config files that can me run while the
network is up and functional so that this entering IP addresses in
N places is less painful.

I seen no problem in adding a BEFORE: NETWORKING to the port, covering
a larger number of casses than your narrow BEFORE: dhcpd.

> On a related note, unbound rc script provides "unbound" service.
> I think that maybe it should provide something more generic such as "nameserver"
> or "dns-server" (not sure if there is an established name for that).
> The reason I am saying this is that, IMO, if unbound is replaced with some other
> name server implementation the rc dependency chains should stay the same.

I do not see anything in the base system that uses unbound or local_unbound
service name, so this looks like it could be straightforward, though there
may be some ports that have use of this token.

For the blue bikeshed I find that "server" is just noise in the token
and that "dns" already has "s" for system, so just "dns" is good with me :-)