Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 14:15:37 -0500
From:      Ryan Holyfield <skidog@ten.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   disk partition

        I am a little worried about installing Freebsd due to my lack of
knowledge when it comes to disk partitions.  Ok, I have a P166 with one hard
drive(2GB).  My OS is Windows 95.  When I first booted with the installation
disk everything worked fine.  Then I got to this disk partition stuff and
got worried I was going to wipe out my hard drive.  My hard drive showed up
with three splits, or slices or whatever you call them.  One had a number 60
beside and was marked unused, the middle one had a real big number and fat
written out beside it (I assume this is where Windows and all the other
stuff is), and the last one had a 5050 number beside and was also marked
unused.  Ok so I pick the bigger unused and then went to the disk label
screen.  I noticed this was only 1MB of space but I tried it anyway.  I hit
the "A" for auto but it said it couldn't create the root partition(Too
Big?).  What does that mean?  At this point I got real worried and decided
to read some more of the documentation on the net.  I read about the FIPS
utility and downloaded it.  I ran it from DOS and created a partition from
the so called "fat" part.  This time the split or slice was a lot bigger in
size.  I then ran the boot installation disk again to see what changes the
FIPS utility program had done.  Now I was showing four slices including the
one extra I had just created.  The one I had just created had a number like
880880 beside it and is about 43MB in size.  After marking it for Freebsd I
went to the disk label screen and hit "A" again for automatic defaults and
again got the error "Can not create root partition.  Too Big?  I have know
idea what this means.  Anyway, I need help if I'm going to attempt to
install this again.  I couldn't find any of your documentation that was
spelled out simple enough for how to load FreeBSD without destroying
Windows95 or any other files.  I cannot do this until I'm sure I'm not going
to get rid of everything in the process.  Another question I have is if you
dedicate the entire disk to FreeBsd but you select Yes when it prompts you
if you want the disk to stay compatible with other OS's does this erase
Win95 or does it just find the free space it needs without removing your
files.  Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Ryan