Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:01:46 -0600
From:      mdickerson@officeonweb.net
To:        freebsd-isp@freeBSD.org
Subject:   DNS woes

I've been looking all over and if this one is posted somewhere, I do
apologize.

I'm using 2 FreeBSD machines for DNS. I just set them up a few days ago.
When I set up the DNS originally, everthing worked fine. I altered our
/etc/resolv.conf file to point to our servers for DNS info (on both
machines). I was able to look up both the domains set up on the two
machines via nslookup (one set up as primary and the other as secondary) as
well as externally resolved addresses. I checked my @home ISP's DNS via
nslookup and also was getting good info back (my settings from the new
nameservers was propagating). I thought everything was hunky-dory.

This morning I (nervously, neurotically, you decide) checked my @home
nslookup on a couple of the domains I had recently set up on my
nameservers, and they came back with that nasty "non-existent host/domain"
message. I then logged on to my machines to see what was going on. When I
tried to use nslookup on the nameserver machines, I get the following:
# nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address abc.def.abc.def: Non-existent
host/domain
*** Can't find server name for address abc.def.abc.jhk: Non-existent
host/domain
*** Default servers are not available
#

I checked named and it was running. I restarted them on both machines (no
errors) and still get the same 'can't find server ..." error message.

(yes, both machines are in the DNS files and /etc/hosts :) and again, this
all worked fine yesterday )

Has anyone had this happen to them?  (Is this one of those humps people
just 'get over')

I truly appreciate any suggestions on this issue.

Strugglin,

Mike Dickerson
Officeonweb.net