Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 10:07:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steven Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ed0/probe problem in 4.0-CURRENT

Last night switched from 3.1 to 4.0. Smooth transition. The only
error I've seen is one of my ethernet cards is no longer detected.

In the previous kernel (3.1-STABLE) I had the following config
line:

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

When the system booted it would detect 'ed1' on the PCI bus
and 'ed0' on the isa bus. All was good. Under 4.0 things
changed.

Now when the system boots the PCI card is assigned to 'ed0'
and then a message is printed saying 'ed0' is already used,
using next number. But my ISA card isn't probed. I switched
the ISA card to 'ed1'. The 'already used' message stopped
but my ISA card is still not detected.

The PCI card is:

ed0: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> irq 11 at device 15.0 on pci0
ed0: address 52:54:00:dc:08:ca, type NE2000 (16 bit)

the ISA card is MIA. I don't even get a 'ed1 not found at' message.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or tell me how to
make the device probing more verbose?

						-Steve