Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:37:10 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        kim.attree@za.verizonbusiness.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with KDM not passing to Xorg/KDE after login

--nextPart1260537.u0KPHxbTpl

On Monday, 16. July 2007, Kim Attree wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> >> Mike,
> >>
> >> I've checked rc.conf and the hostname is defined and a 'hostname'
> >> command on the workstation confirms this. I've added a /etc/hosts file
> >> on the workstation (through the /conf/default directory on diskless
> >> server) with the following:
> >>
> >> 127.0.0.1   localhost
> >> 196.31.157.162  diskless02.csc.jnb6.za.uu.net (server)
> >> 196.31.157.130   csc01.csc.jnb6.za.uu.net (workstation)
> >>
> >> confirmed that localhost resolves to 127.0.0.1 on the workstation. KDM
> >> still refuses to pass to Xorg.
> >
> > Just to make sure - you cannot launch any session type from kdm, not ev=
en
> > failsafe?
> >
> > What happens if you try to run Xsession manually, i.e.:
> >
> > $ X &
> > [switch back to VTY]
> > $ env DISPLAY=3D:0 /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsession default
> > [switch back to X11]
> >
> > Does KDE start? If not, try running Xsession as above but with shell
> > tracing enabled like
> >
> > $ env DISPLAY=3D:0 sh -x /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsession default
> >
> > to see where it hangs/exits.
> >

> > Cheers,
>
> Mike,
>
> Did what you asked:
>
> 1. Started background process of X as root
> 2. Switched VTY's and ran the Xsession
>
> Result: KDE Ran as expected....
>

> Then as a normal user, left the Xorg process running in background as
> root. Changed VTY, logged in as a normal user, ran the command, and also
> with shell tracing.
>
> Both times just drops back to command prompt with no the following:
>
> <snip>
> csc01$ sh -x /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsession default
> + session=3Dkde/Xsession
> + [ -z ]
> + exec /usr/local/bin/bash  /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsession default
> csc01$
> <snip>

So as root Xsession works but as your user it does not, right? I suspect it=
=20
might have something to do with your user's shell - for root, it's probably=
=20
csh, whereas for your normal user it seems to be set to bash.=20

You can try unsetting the SHELL environment variable or setting it to /bin/=
csh=20
or /bin/sh before running Xsession as your normal user (or just temporarily=
=20
change your shell altogether) and see if that fares any better. To debug=20
Xsession with bash, try editing the Xsession script:

Change the line

[ -z "$BASH" ] && exec $SHELL $0 "$@"

to=20

[ -z "$BASH" ] && exec $SHELL -x $0 "$@"