Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 05:26:25 +1000
From:      "Richard Lyon" <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Niall Smart" <nsmart@iona.com>, "Paul Bangert" <pdbindy@ibm.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation problems

 See comments below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Niall Smart <nsmart@iona.com>
To: Paul Bangert <pdbindy@ibm.net>
Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Friday, 8 August 1997 3:25

the 5 step guide to making boot disks :)

1) you must make the boot disks in DOS ( not a DOS prompt
   from Windows 31/95/NT )
This is not true. I have always made all my boot disks from
the dos prompt in windows NT using rawrite2. The real issues
are whether there are any bad tracks on the floppy, if the
image has been downloaded correctly, has the floppy been formatted
to the correct capacity.

Always format the disk before starting.
Use scandisk to check for errors.
Only use the disk if scandisk reports no errors.
Wait until the LED on the drive is off before removing
the floppy from the drive.

I have installed FBSD from floppies a number of times. All
floppies were formatted using NT. At work I have also created
boot floppies under 95 and never had a problem using rawrite2.

2) if you still have no luck run a scandisk with surface
   check on your diskettes

3) if you still have no luck redownload rawrite.exe and
   boot.flp and try again

4) sounds like a hardware failure with your computer, try
   it on someone elses :)

Do you have Linux installed? You can use the dd command to
write the image if you do:

# dd if=/some/path/boot.flp of=/dev/fd0

--
Niall Smart