Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:52:57 +0100
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@lonres.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

* Steve Roome (steve@lonres.com) wrote:

> We're trying to get FreeBSD to perform reasonably well, in comparison
> to Linux, or even what we should expect to see. We're getting about
> half the performance we get from gentoo on the same application
> (mysql).

Fancy giving CURRENT a try?

For the record, we run FreeBSD 5.3 in production as our master database
server without problems, so long as we keep the few heavy queries we do
off it:

Uptime: 6044357  Threads: 146  Questions: 1963912006  Slow queries: 1842
Opens: 182277  Flush tables: 3733  Open tables: 357  Queries per second
avg: 324.917

But it would be nice not to fall back on Linux for our slaves to do the
heavy lifting.  Maybe FreeBSD 6 will be less disappointing in this
regard.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/