Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 03:44:56 +1100
From:      "Chris Cason" <casonc@netplex.aussie.org>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IPSEC tunnels fail with -stable  kernel?

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a spot. I upgraded several FreeBSD 4.1 boxes via
cvsup (tracking stable) and rebuilt, and now my previously-working
IPSEC VPN's have stopped. The new kernel is at 4.2-BETA on the boxen
in question, the old varied but one was as recent as October 14.

I've done extensive testing and can find no obvious fault. The
transport mode works fine, I have no problems with that. But
the tunnels only seem to work one way; the packets leave the
sending box and arrive at the receiving one (according to tcpdump),
and are decoded by the kernel (according to netstat -sn there are
no errors and the counters increment as expected).

Yet the packets never seem to make it out of the kernel (or if they
do, I can't find out what happens to them). Nothing else had changed
in terms of my system configuration. Forwarding is still enabled and
ipfw is not blocking the data.

Has anyone else seen this ? Any suggestions ?

-- Chris