Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:32:42 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: users

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:10:51PM +0000, Don Seeger wrote:
> I wish to back up my users (excluding root).  Can I tar my home folder for
> my users and backup up the master.passwd and that is it.  Is it more
> complicated than that.

I don't think it needs to be more complicated - but I would feel inclined
to make backups of /etc/passwd and /etc/group as well (and login.conf,
login.access, if you have changed them from the default).

But of course, there will be almost as many approaches as there are FreeBSD
users, so whatever works for you is surely the best bet!

Dan