Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:16:09 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan@student.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GnuCash startup problems

Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan@student.tue.nl> writes:

> Ok, witout truss it shows the splash screen in a little more than 5
> minutes and it completes loading the modules after some 7 minutes.

I had, and reported this problem too, on FreeBSD-5. My truss, sort,
uniq analysis showed it spending a lot of time trying to open the same
libraries, over and over, in places where they didn't exist.  I tried
to make sure my ports -- all the gnucash dependencies -- were up to
date, but that did not seem to help.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-April/011461.html

I am happy to report that it starts up quickly now.  The only
significant change I can see is that I am running FreeBSD-5.3 post
the official 5.3 RELEASE, that is, FreeBSD-5.3-STABLE.

It now takes maybe 10 - 15 seconds to startup, but I'm running it off
a headless server and it's remote displaying to me over X11.  Probably
faster on a local box/display.

I do not know whether it is still doing the same repeated searching
for libraries as before, I haven't trussed it to find out.