Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 06:04:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp11.tar.gz

> First, I had to make a couple of changes to the pnp.c code that Luigi
> had modified.  The Phoneblaster has like 5 different logical devices
> on board:
>   - the modem
>   - the IDE interface
>   - the game port/joystick
>   - the audio (with 3 I/O address, an interrupt an a couple of DMA channels)
>   - a "reserved" device with one I/O port that does some other secret
>     stuff I don't know about yet.
>
> The problem with the pnp.c code is that it marches through the table
> trying to match the bd_id field (which smells like it's the individual
> device identifier), rather then the board serial number which should
> match multiple entries.

actually the original code by Sujal used the serial number, but that
does not identify the board at all, and many cards have it set to
values such as -1, 1, or 0. So you would risk false detections.

The bd_id field is supposed to identify the board type, so you
should not have false detections (unless you have two boards of
the same kind, but for that I actually have a different mechanism,
which is now working in the latest version of the PnP code included
with my sound driver snapshots).  What's wrong with using the bd_id
field and put the right one for the board you have ? It is much
safer.

Also can you run pnpinfo on your board and send me the results ? I
would like to add support for it (and other PnP boards) in my code, to
test how the new config stuff works with it.

> sndtable_init_card(7) entered
> Located card - calling attach routine
>  at 0x330 irq -1
> attach routine finished
>
> create_intr: requested irq31 too high, limit is 15
>
> Should I be worried about the -1/31 irq indications here?  Also, does this

yes :) the problem is the code does not realize that -1 means no
interrupt, and tries to register an interrupt anyways.

> Card config:
> SoundBlaster at 0x280 irq 10 drq 1,7
> SoundBlaster16 at 0xffffffff irq 1 drq 5,7
> OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 1
> SB16 MIDI at 0x330 irq 1

except for the "7" as secondary dma (which should really mean that the
board does not have a dma). Probably my fault again, since I thought
that no flags specified means flags=0 whereas it seems it is flags=-1

	Cheers
	Luigi