Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:07:45 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X keymapping

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 12:01:40PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> I have a MS natural keyboard running on FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE.  The
> "Window" keys and the "Alt" keys at the bottom are opposite to what
> I'm accustomed.  How can I swap these two keys under X?  I've tried
> running the xkeycaps program and using the xmodmap it produces, but
> that failed.  I tried adding these lines to my XF86Config file in the
> Keyboard section:
>
>    LeftAlt         Meta
>    RightAlt        Meta
>
> but that didn't do it.
>
> Basically, what incantation do I need to swap Meta_L with Alt_L and
> Meta_R with Alt_R.  All the apps I use have Meta-KEY combinations and
> my fingers just can't deal with the swapped positions.
>

>From the xmodmap(1) manpage:

       Similarly, some keyboards have an Alt key but no Meta key.
       In that case the following may be useful:

            %  xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L"

Guess you can just substitute ``R'' for ``L'' to do the other key.

> I used to run this keyboard on BSD/OS under Xaccel and the keys were
> in the "right places", so that's why I'm used to it...
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller