Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:46:48 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
To:        curtis@occnc.com, Dirk Meyer <dinoex@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch to build spamass-milter with sendmail-sasl

On 25 August 2012 21:38, Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> wrote:

> In message <CADLo839FeQroEt6r12+KgWgoUuj1gcNkanm-hqHVQSC2g8k-Ug@mail.gmail.com>
> Chris Rees writes:
>
>> On 23 August 2012 21:37, Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. <lkchen@ksu.edu> wrote:
>> > Just the patch I was looking for.

[previous patch trimmed; can be found at [1]]

Ah... the use of slave ports (like -sasl) is to create handy packages
for those who use packages, as well as meaning that people can put
dependencies on certain OPTIONS.

Also, your code could be a little more brief;

# convert OPTIONS in WITH_* form to SENDMAIL_WITH_*
.if defined(WITH_IPV6)
SENDMAIL_WITH_IPV6=yes
.else
SENDMAIL_WITHOUT_IPV6=yes
.endif

should be using OPTIONSng, and a for loop:

.for o in ${PORT_OPTIONS}
.if ${PORT_OPTIONS:M$o}
SENDMAIL_WITH_$o=yes
.else
SENDMAIL_WITHOUT_$o=yes
.endif

To be honest, it's not really good enough to be hacking the Makefile
like this; if you would like to try a conversion to new-style OPTIONS
I would recommend reading [2], but before you put yourself through
this CHECK WITH THE MAINTAINER (CC'd) that such a patch would be
accepted!

I'm willing to help off-list if Dirk will accept a patch.

Chris

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2012-August/077775.html

[2] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-options.html#AEN2638