Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 11:34:52 +0100
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpc.umntall does not work with AIX [LONG]

Hi,

> Well, it seems like RPCMNT_UMNTALL call always fails with RPC_SYSTEMERROR on
> all systems except FreeBSD. I tested HP/UX, AIX and Solaris boxes - they all
> behave identically as follows:

exactly. The other systems reply is 5, which is MNT_IOERR for the
authentification handle. I still do not know the reason for this.
The call iteslf gets accepted and executed on the remote system.

> rpc.umntall -h $HOST always fails
> rpc.umntall -h $HOST -p $DIR - works just fine since it is using RPCMNT_UMOUNT
> umount $HOST:$DIR works just fine
>
> Interesting, even if RPC_UMNTALL call returns error code, it nonetheless
> causes mount entry to be removed from the server, i.e. showmount -a $HOST
> output does not report my client machine as having any mounts on $HOST anymore.
>
> All entries in my /var/db/mounttab appear to be correct, I do not think they
> are causing the problem.
>
> Also, I have questions regarding the following code fragment from the
> rpc.umntall.c file:

I'll fix this.

> It seems like it does RPCMNT_UMNTALL call for each mounttab entry regardless of
> the -k parameter passed in the command line, while man page suggests that
> it should simply skip entries for currently mounted filesystems.
>

> Furthermore, using RPC_UMNTALL in the above loop is probably not a good idea
> either because client host may have two different directories mounted from the
> same server. If -k flag is specified, you cannot use UMNTALL because it will
> remove /var/run/mountdtab entries not only for the mount point left over
> from the crash but also for all other mounts some of which may be perfectly
> valid and should be kept intact.

I'll add a check for this. Probably it is better to kill use UMNT instead
of UMNTALL as you said.

Martin